Mary Smither, Media Specialist
It is with great pride that I head up the media department at George Jenkins High School. It is a busy place; for we truly are, as our theme suggests, “the Heart of Knowledge” for this high school. In collaboration with our faculty, staff, and administrators, I have strived to make this media center a place where knowledge is readily available and easily accessible for our students. We welcome all students to visit the media center, whether to read, relax, play a game of chess, type a paper, or use the Internet.
The mission of the George Jenkins High School Media Center program is to ensure that all patrons are effective users of ideas and information as presented in ever-changing formats. The mission of the media program encompasses the following objectives:
- To provide intellectual access to information
- To provide physical access to information
- To provide learning experiences that encourage users to become discriminating consumers and skilled creators of information
- To provide leadership, instruction, and collaborative assistance in the use of instructional and information technology.
- To provide a facility that functions as the information center of the school
- To provide resources, print and non-print, that enhance the learning process